We're extremely proud of the factory from which we source our clothing. It is located in Calcutta, India and is extremely progressive and employee-oriented. It is certified fair trade, organic and also has an SA-8000 certification.
We spent some time in the factory this spring and were very impressed. The factory's management treats their employees incredibly well. Specifically, the factory:
- Pays wages in excess of the local market rate
- Funds schooling for the children of all of its employees up to university level
- Provides interest free loans to employees of up to six months wages
- Provides free basic health insurance for all employees and their families
- Hosts an eye operation camp in which workers and their families can get cataract surgery for free
- Provides subsidized food to all workers
- Pays a housing allowance of up to 5% of wages
- Provides 2 week of paid vacation per year
- Pays all employees a 10% annual bonus, regardless of the factory’s profitability
- Allows workers the right to unionize – there are currently 3 unions within the factory
Since this factory is extremely progressive and worker-oriented, we look forward to working closely with the factory to continue to improve worker conditions and increase pay.